Pages

Thursday, January 23, 2014

Looking for Creative Joy for My Soul



 It comes a time when you really need to take care of those little things that keep your mind and spirit from wilting away.  In the past year I have come to realize that I need to take care of myself better and that I need to nourish my creative soul.  I used to find joy in coming up with new ideas to make what at the time (15 years ago!!) was just little crafts to decorate my home or little scrapbook layout to place a few dear pictures.  Just an outlet to escape the stresses on my life; work, husband, child, family and responsibilities that could and at time would swallow the inner me.  

We women tend to wear many hats and assume many responsibilities and then we try to juggle them all at the same time.  What happens is that we go into auto pilot and forget about that engine that is keeping all these hats in the air going around and around.  Well like any engine it needs maintenance or after a few hundred miles they start whining and if ignored then the inevitable happens, they self-destruct.

Creating, even in small forms, is the maintenance that my soul needs.  I am a perfectionist and as we all know, nothing is ever perfect.  When I’m creating I have to let control take the back seat and let my creative spirit and soul take over.  I am by no means a Picasso or even have a third of the talent that is out there but I am me. My mind is at peace when I have paint in my hands, pencils and markers by my side, colorful papers and journals waiting for me to bring life to them.  

I let life and the world around me take away that mind peace for a while, but now is my time to take it back and to hopefully inspire and others to do the same.   Like I said before I am no expert and a total beginner in many ways, but what counts (at least in my mind) is that I find myself again and some the creative joy that will nourish my soul.  Hey no matter how bad the art comes out, what needs to matter is that at least I find peace for my mind, a few minutes at time.  Is has to be better that Prozac®, right?

I am currently experimenting with Art Journals and a new obsession called Zentangle® (www.zentangle.com).  I hope to post some of my beginner’s work and since I’m a pretty tough chic I will gladly accept constructive criticism (just don’t be mean, no need for that).  

From a soul looking for inspiration to another, have a Great Day!!!

wonderingmindfield

No comments:

Post a Comment