Pages

Monday, January 27, 2014

What is Zentangle®?

The Zentangle® Method is an easy-to-learn, relaxing, and fun way to create beautiful images by drawing structured patterns. It was created by Rick Roberts and Maria Thomas. "Zentangle" is a registered trademark of Zentangle, Inc. Learn more at zentangle.com.


You learn how to create structured patterns that come together to form a beautiful art image.  It helps you relax, focus, and build confidence, especially when you finish and see how a few simple patterns can come together to create an interesting and beautiful image.  Tangles are normally created in a 3.5 square white paper tile and are drawn with a #01 Micron Archival ink pen.  If you visit www.zentangle.com you can find a number of blog listings of certified Zentangle® teachers all around the USA and many other countries.

I personally took a class about a month ago with Jean Theurkauf from www.artofthetangle.com and got to learn a little about this method.  I am by no means an expert but I really loved it and hope to some day in the near future be good enough to be certified.  Lots of practicing going on!!!
First Solo Zentangle® 
If you can, check out the web site and maybe take a class near your home.  Some of these classes are quite reasonably priced, I paid around $30 for a 2 hour class and I did not have to bring anything.  Ms. Theurkauf provided us with a few tiles, pen and pencil.

Another web site I have found is really informative is www.tanglepatterns.com by Linda Farmer, CZT.  She has a lot of information and links as well as many, many patterns with instructions and artists’ information.  If you provide your email you get frequent updates on patterns and the site is a free resource site, but she does welcome donations to support her efforts and hard work in keeping the site running.

Another very useful resource for me has been YouTube® where there are some pretty talented people out there doing all kinds of Zentangle® art and Zentangle®-inspired art. 

I personally like Ellen Wolters’ tutorial videos, since she goes at a reasonable pace to teach you how to create some pretty cool patterns.

I will post some information as well as some of my attempts at Zentangle® on my Zentangle® page (to be created soon after I post this!!).

Be safe and always look for your creative joy,
WonderingMindField



No comments:

Post a Comment