Pages

Thursday, June 4, 2015

My Very First: "Pocket Letters"

A little while ago I came across a YouTube video about a cool idea called Pocket Letters.  This was started by Janette Lane.  You can check out some of her videos by clicking on the link attached to her name.

The videos will show how it works and some ideas on how to create one.  The main concept is to fill a 9-pocket trading card protector with goodies and art, instead of baseball cards. FUN!


I liked the idea and decided to just decorate some pieces of paper I have on my paper pile and try a swap.

The first thing you need to do is find people to trade with, so go to the Pocket Letter network and join. They have all the information you need on how to start trading pocket letter as well as the rules of trading.  You can also do your own swaps with friends and family, It would also be a great activity with the kids! Just have them trade handmade cards with their friends or you.

My approach was to join an event.  An event is a one-time or an on going swap that someone in the network has already created.  The creator of the event or swap, states the theme, rules and deadlines for the swap.  I let the creator know how many people I want to swap with as well as, if I want to exchange with someone from the USA, international or both.  Just read all the rules because they contain good information and it will state the last day to sign up for the event and the mailing deadline.  The creator then sends out a listing to the members who join the event with the assigned partners.

This network works a lot like Facebook.  You have a profile page, you can upload pictures, make comments about other member's creations, and even befriend other members.  The big difference is that this site is for the crafty in you not for drama or bad gossip. :) I personally enjoy visiting and wish them all the luck in the success of the site.

For my pocket letter here are some of the materials I used to create the cards that go into the 9-pockets.

  • Dylusions “over the edge” mini stamps and “Border Clear Stamps” from Oriental Trading.
  • Cut outs:  mini dress and assorted hears sizes and shapes.
  • Colored scraps background, dry wall tape, acrylic paints and washi tape scraps.
  • BCW 9-pocket sleeves.

I liked the way it turned out and hope that my pocket pal does too.  Another thing I wanted to mention is that you’re suppose to fill the pockets with treats and also a letter with a personal message should be included.  I filled the back of this one with washi tape samples, decorated post it notes, handmade stickers, beads, and just assortment of treats, which included a Tazo tea bag. You must include something like tea bags of a small candy, depending on your partners preferences.

If you have tried it or would like to and want more information, leave me a comment.  I will post about the pocket letter I got when I receive it.

Thanks for visiting this corner of my world and have a great day!
WonderingMindField

Closeups:





No comments:

Post a Comment