Pages

Monday, June 23, 2014

Art Journal Page 15

I was looking at some pictures of my days in high school and realized how much I have learned in the last 25 years (yes.. that makes me old..do the math!)  This page was in honor of that 17-year-old girl who did not know what was waiting for her down the road of life but hoped her dreams would come true.

Creative process notes:
  • I decoupage the page with some old book pages using mod podge and a heat gun to dry.  Some wrinkles occur but that was just part of the charm.  It added texture and a more aged feel.
  • With a dry foam brush lightly dipped it in gesso and cover the entire page with a very light touch.    The idea was to mute the harshness of the pages lines. 
  • Added some washi tape strips top an bottom of the page and then randomly on the page to add texture to the background.  I also used small strips of my trusty drywall tape to add more texture.  I love this tape as much as I love stencils!
  • I took a face drawing I had on my computer that looked a little like me at 17 and printed it.  Then using carbon paper I traced the image into the page and with black acrylic paint I went over the lines to make.

  • With a opaque marker I highlighted the hair lines to make them stand out and give the hair a softer look.  I also colored in the inside of the eyes to make them stand out.
  • With yellow ink spays I sprayed on palette paper and them with a brush colored the entire page.  I sprayed on the palette paper so I would have more control on where I wanted it to be more or less brighter.
  •  Using Dylusion “crushed grape” ink spray I colored the hair and random spots on the page.  Again I sprayed on palette paper and then with a brush colored the hair so that it looked smother instead of spray on.
  • To finish I stamped some swirls and then using Tim Holtz™ Distressed ink pad (“mustard seed”) and a felt sponged distressed the page to blend everything together.

I visited my past self while creating this page so emotions ranged from happy to sad to accepting that not all dreams come true but that the lessons learned shape the heart and soul of the girl and the woman.

Have a great day and create to bring peace to your soul.

WonderingMindField

No comments:

Post a Comment