Pages

Monday, May 19, 2014

Art Journal Page #11

I LOVE Stencils!  I while back I saw a mixed media artist using modeling paste in a lot of her journal and canvas creations and it really peaked my interest.  So I combine my love of stencils with modeling paste and this is the result!I purchased the stencil on Ebay™ from jo*s_attic and it is a 10” x 8” Tiger Stencil.  I bought it because I just love the angle and size, and let face it I could never draw this magnificent animal without a miracle.

Art Journal Page #11180
So what did I do?
  • Sprayed the page with Dylusions(® calypso teal spray ink and then with some water and Distress Stain black soot (Tim Holtz®) I darkened the pages to give the illusion of a dark night.
  • I taped the stencil with painter blue tape and very carefully spread modeling paste over the stencil.  I use Blick® modeling paste brand and it worked just as good as the more expensive brands and you get more bang for your dollar.
  • I took the tape out and very gently took the stencil off.  I did wait a minute or two before removing to let the paste set enough to be removed without damaging the design too much.
  • Let the paste and color completely dry and then sealed the page with gel medium.
This stencil was laser cut and thin so removal was done very carefully so that I would not smudge the design.  The once thing I did not expected but loved was that because the paste was thin and the spray ink is water based the color came through the paste giving in a shading effect that I did not expected but loved. Happy accident1

This really encourage me to use more stencils on my journal and I will definitely keep modeling paste around.  Give it a try, is really nice and if you mess up just wipe it before it has a chance to to set.  It will leave residue but what the heck, it just adds texture.

Be safe and find your creative joy…
WonderingMindField

No comments:

Post a Comment